Conversation and Dialogue

Last evening I realized again just how much I enjoy conversation and dialogue. What happened is that my daughter, her boyfriend, my youth pastor and I spent over an hour talking about our views on life and the church. It was great. There was difference of opinion in some areas but no sense of "one-upmanship" or superiority.

So often, and especially when it comes to "spiritual" things, we can quickly pass over into polemics, defensive postures and justifications for our point of view. I really am uncomfortable with that.

I thrive when that special atmosphere fills the room... where there emerges a genuine dialogue and desire to listen to and learn from the other person...

Wikipedia offers this definition:

A dialogue is a reciprocal conversation between two or more entities.
It's reciprocal... each side taking part. It's a conversation... not a monologue. I don't know about you, but that's how I find myself learning the most.

-dave


No comments: